John Bolton: Knee Breaker Extraordinaire
In case you haven't been reading the news, (but, by some bizarre reshuffling of priorities, have been reading my blog), what may turn out to be the most damaging charges yet have surfaced against John Bolton:
John R. Bolton flew to Europe in 2002 to confront the head of a global arms-control agency and demand he resign, then orchestrated the firing of the unwilling diplomat in a move a U.N. tribunal has since judged unlawful, according to officials involved.
A former Bolton deputy says the
Bustani, who says he got a "menacing" phone call from Bolton at one point, was removed by a vote of just one-third of member nations at an unusual special session of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), at which the
Bottom line: John Bolton got a guy fired for trying to learn the truth.
This man is showing a pattern of abuse. If he doesn’t agree with you, he’ll take you down not through informed debate or discrediting your opinion, not even by clever political manipulation to build a majority consensus, but by brute force. Bolton got a guy fired for trying to find out what was really going on with
As usual, Joe Gandelman has a great roundup, and some pretty bitter comments from
The two main arguments the Bolton-boosters have for trying to ram this sociopath into the UN post are:
- He has tremendous diplomatic experience
- The UN is in need of a tough nosed reformer.
As to the second point, the American Centrist fully believes that real reform is long past due at the UN. Among which are:
- There needs to be greater outside oversight and strengthened rules of accountability for crimes committed under the guise of the United Nations.
- Permanent seats on the council need to be reshuffled (there’s no reason why
Franceshould still have a permanent seat while Japan, China, India, and are shut out). Germany
- There absolutely must be a way to expedite the expenditure of UN capital and personnel to emergency situations such the one going on right now in Darfur,
- A new culture needs to be introduced so that Security Council Resolutions have consequences instead of just rhetoric.
All these reforms need to be enacted, but a narcissistic, stubborn, bullying belittler like John Bolton cannot get the job done. A reformer needs to have the respect of both his allies and his own country; John Bolton will have neither. How can you be the reformer if you are also the UN’s inside joke?
People who agree with me