Thoughts of an American Centrist

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Air Wars

Boeing and Airbus are at it again. Well, at least their representative governments are.

Both the US and EU are screaming over supposedly "illegal" government subsidies of these two aircraft giants. The US provides favorable treatment in the form of de-factor government contracts to Boeing, the EU gives "loans" to Airbus that don't necessarily need to be paid back. The key difference, from a trade perspective, is that Airbus' treatment is in violation of WTO rules, whereas Boeing's is not.

As a proud US citizen and supporter of the American economy, I hope we kick some major Airbus butt in this little brawl. Since the subsidies started, Airbus has taken quite a bit of market-share from Boeing without any substantial improvement in its fleet.


As a general consumer of news and a human being, such technocratic arguments bore me to tears, and make me wonder who on earth wrote these stupid trade rules in the first place.

One thing to consider: if, as the doomsday crooners predict, this conflict bestows permanent damage upon both companies, will another company arise? A pox on both your houses! Will Lockheed Martin try to get into the passenger jet business? I doubt it. More than likely, I would expect any reciprocal damage to inspire an Asian airline manufacturer. Are Boeing and Airbus ready for the Toyota of the skies? It may behoove our two orbiting quarrelers to consult with General Motors and Mercedes-Benz before they start down the path to mutual destruction.

18 Comments:

  • Blogarama that is good stuff nice one I have a blog too also I have a website dedicated to helping people with their debts, mortgages,student loans plus much more all FREE info debt free non profit Take a look around it may help you in some way debt free non profit

    By Blogger harvey, at 6:41 PM  

  • Great blog! I also have a site about rodney shinn waterski
    . You can check it out at rodney shinn waterski
    .

    Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

    FREE Sony DVD Handycam

    By Blogger accordion-3B2DD4, at 4:01 AM  

  • Another newspaper article on abortion Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as newspaper article on abortion .

    By Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails, at 12:31 AM  

  • Want to know how your organization can raise all the funds it needs �� without the hassles of selling frozen pizzas, cookie dough, and all the other useless stuff that people only buy out of obligation?!

    Regards,
    1stopshop youth group fund raiser

    By Anonymous fund raising, at 10:30 AM  

  • Hi ##NAME##. Hope you are well. I came across your site totally by accident. In fact it wasn't exactly on a topic I was looking for (I was on the lookout for donate a car info). But as I was searching, one link led me to another and I got curious about your blog. I found it interesting and thought I'd drop you a line to tell you so. I guess thats what surfing is all about.

    By Anonymous Josh Wood, at 12:52 PM  

  • Thank you for the informative blog
    Here Is some additional
    Pet Supply Resources for

    Dog,, Cat, Bird, Fish, and Reptile pet supply if you or

    your readers are interested.

    By Blogger Shawn T Lippert, at 8:02 AM  

  • Hey there, can you help me? I'm trying to meet other people to talk about single parent holidays. Do you know of anyone who has used this site (single parent holidays)?
    Thanks

    By Blogger pisces26, at 8:51 PM  

  • I enjoyed reading through your blog and experiencing your perspective on things.

    Regards,

    dog health insurance pet

    By Anonymous dog health insurance pet, at 6:32 PM  

  • I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
    the indexes easily.

    Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

    RickJ

    By Anonymous Rick J, at 2:41 AM  

  • Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
    Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
    If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
    loans center
    It covers loans center related subjects.
    Have a great day!

    By Blogger Paul Adams, at 6:45 PM  

  • Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
    drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
    the information you have posted here.
    Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
    If you have a moment, please make a visit to my tax increment financing site.
    Good luck in your endeavors!

    By Anonymous tax increment financing, at 7:47 AM  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
    I have a utah pet stores site.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Greetings.

    By Anonymous utah pet stores, at 11:30 PM  

  • Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
    Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
    If you have a moment, please take a look at my utah pet stores site.
    Have a great day!

    By Anonymous utah pet stores, at 3:28 AM  

  • Hi
    Linux software,news mobile ,games
    http://spdimon.info

    Bye

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 AM  

  • Hi
    soft for windows software,news driver ,games
    http://italiagame.org

    G'night

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 AM  

  • Keep up the good work Online soccer bet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 PM  

  • Best regards from NY! »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 PM  

  • Now this should be done carefully as different Xbox games offers different amount of free codes.
    Heck, you can even use Internet Explorer if you really want to.
    Whatever it may be, it's definitely working right now, so if you want to take advantage of it, now is the time.

    My blog post free xbox live

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home